Stone Age to Corinium Launch

A word from the President, The Earl Bathurst

In 1849 some of the most significant Roman mosaics, the Hunting Dogs and the Four Seasons, were discovered during sewerage works in Cirencester. It was my Great, Great Grandfather, the 4th Earl Bathurst, who in 1856 built the original Corinium Museum to house these two fine mosaics. The Bathurst collection together with the Cripps collection were then gifted to the town in 1936, along with the second Corinium Museum being established, here in Park Street on this present site. This helps to explain the Bathurst Family’s interest, involvement and commitment to the Corinium Museum, a Museum that houses a most important collection which is of national significance. 

It cannot be underestimated how important Corinium was to the Romans: it was their second largest town in the British Isles, and the capital of the west of Britain. An amazing feat. The present-day Cirencester is built on top of Corinium which is why layer upon layer of history and archaeology is still being discovered today, and why it has been possible to create here a museum where every detail of Roman life is preserved. Apart from the amphitheatre and a small section of Roman wall, there is little evidence around Cirencester of the town’s status during the Roman era. Its importance is however revealed in this incredible museum, where the finds from a whole Roman town and beyond can be seen.

It is a such a privilege to be President of the Friends of the Museum, to support this launch of “Stone Age to Corinium”, and to be able to carry on the Bathurst family’s commitment to and passion for the Corinium Museum. We hope you will consider becoming a Friend of the Museum, especially at a time when we have so many exciting plans, some of which we hope to be able to share first with our Friends soon!”

Stone Age to Corinium

Click on the buttons below to find out more about the Friends of Corinium Museum